Monday, November 16, 2009

Registering

I don't know how much I can even say about the topic at hand to make you understand what the day was like....

I was so excited going into this whole registering thing and by the end of the day was ready to go postal in Babys R Us. It started out as an exciting day, Mike and I were laughing and joking around in the store. Behind us sat a tired bleary eyed looking couple who had just finished. They literally looked like zombies. We asked them how it went... they said looong! I asked if they still loved each other. They said yes, so off we went with our list and gun, smiling and excited to pick out items for our baby.

You start right off with the breast pumps... I mean... as if either of us know what in the world I am supposed to get there. "Mike, do you think I need these nipple shields???" So, I followed my list and hoped we got all the right stuff. It's still kind of weird to me to see "sore nipples" on my registry but oh well - I've been told by many a new mom that I will need all the help I can get in that department and I've got no shame in registering for it.

The infant area was probably the most overwhelming: There is all. kinds. of. crap. in that place. And there is pretty much no rhyme or reason to the madness either. Just walls upon walls of bottles, pacifires, nipples (trying to see how many times I can say nipples in this post). They have their own fracked up version of what is categorization and I'd like to talk to the person who decided that all so I can try and understand.

For the most part, we agreed on most items, and were doing well. It was at about hour three that things took a turn for the worst. Mike decided that my system was inefficient so we were going to change it up to do it his way. I could not handle NOT going through every single aisle (the OCD in me) so I became preg-zilla in Babys R Us and yes, I threatened my husband's life right there in the changing table accessory aisle. This was the monster I've talked about - she comes out and I can't control her. She did not want to change things, and Mike was smart enough to humor her, but at this point, all hope was lost for both of us. We were exhausted and zapping whatever we could just to get through our "list". By the time we got to the clothes, which should be the fun part - we were just getting stuff so that our child does not go naked for the first few weeks. Mike did make the call that we were not going to buy furniture in this state which I do have to admit was a very good call. We certainly did not have the endurance for that. Next time....

A few calls to our cousin Bridget and several online checks later, I think our registry is done although the ambiguity/no picture on some of the items is really irking me. I'll get over it.

In a nutshell, registry was fun until about the last hour, and is fun now that it's done it's even better. Had you asked Mike and I if we still loved each other as we turned in our scanner, our answer may had been different from the couple we met before we started, however we were given the good advice to "step away from the computer and have a glass of wine". Marriage therapy at its best. Thanks Bridget ;) In case you're wondering, yes of course we still love each other.

Baby is the length of a carrot/banana and weighs about 3/4 of a pound. He/she is definitely moving around (mostly in the mornings and after eating!) I looove feeling it stirring around and can't wait for Mike to feel it! It happens so quick now it's hard to get the timing right but hopefully soon!

No comments: