So lately Gabe has gone from stringing a couple of words together to communicate to now using full on sentences. It used to be things like 'Gabey hat' (we can't figure out why he calls himself Gabey,haha) or 'Daddy seeping' to now 'Gus hurt me' and today 'don't hit me' to his sister. It floors me every time because it feels like this growth happens overnight.
Today as I was in the throes of packing, I got busy and into what I was doing in the kitchen while the kids ate lunch. Gabe never stays at the table while eating and some days I try to fight it but today I didn't. Well, first he got up to throw a box full of crayons and coloring books off the shelf. Huge mess, but nothing new. So, I stopped what I was doing to clean that up, visibly annoyed. Then, I went back into the kitchen to finish what i was doing. Not five minutes later I see milk ALL over the playroom. So I went in there and put Gabe into 'time out' mostly so I could clean up. I was again, visibly irritated so Sofia asked me not to be mad at her brother (tear) Because he was just making it snow. I told Gabe, 'you sit there until I tell you to come back.' 'awwight..' He said (my favorite response from him, cracks me up every time, but not this time). As I'm cleaning up, I hear Gabe in the hallway hollering (I sowwy, Mommy!') are you kidding me?! So I asked him to come back and he gave me a hug. How can I stay mad at these kids?! Well. Apparently I can because not two minutes later, Gabe threw down another box from the shelf full of crafting stuff (lots of little pieces). So when I heaved my huge sigh and let out another 'ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!' He looked very sad and said again 'I sowwy Mommy' and I immediately smiled and hugged him again. My mood totally shifted to remorse and laughter simultaneously. Then Sofia asked me why I was mean :( and said she was glad I'm happy now. not my shining moment of motherhood but a lesson taught to me by my kids. Don't get mad at them for being kids just because I'm stressed out. Like I said, they keep me on my toes and help me be the best mom I can be. I Love them more than I could ever express...
As my friend once told me, and I try so hard to remember:
The days are long but the years are short.
Truth!
I had Gabe help me clean up, he loves wiping up his messes.

No comments:
Post a Comment