Sofia started swim class today. The last class she took was probably about a year ago in Milwaukee and that was actually the first time she was in the water without Mike or I. So, considering it has been a while, I was curious how she would do. I know she LOVES the water and has no fear but I wondered how she would do with a new instructor in lessons. Turns out she did amazingly. I was such a proud Mommy watching her and then driving home. I had a permagrin on my face. I guess I didn't realize how important it was to me that she loved the water and that she learns to swim. For obvious reasons, I want her to learn to swim sooner than later. I'd absolutely also love to watch her on a swim team. But, it's definitely up to her what activities she wants to be a part of! I'd like to try and expose our kids to all kinds of things and let them find what they like. Kind of hard not to be biased towards what we want them to do :)
Any way, the great part is that no other kids signed up for her time slot so she's getting private lessons! It's a pretty intense program where she goes every day for two weeks and then we can go to weekly classes for maintenance. She already loves her teacher, Mr. Jameson, and he reported to me that she "is fearless, so sweet and doing great." He also said that she's doing things that a lot of kids don't master until the end of the two week session and that he thinks she'll be floating by the end of the session for sure. I think one of the main goals is to have them be able to float on their backs. This is an important skill to master for lifesaving purposes. I am so happy we went with the swim program we chose. It was like a science deciding, I swear! Here are a few pics from her class today.
A little tentative before class started :)
Back floating
Funny, I was behind a two way mirror so she couldn't see me, but sure looks like she could
Practicing kicks with barbells
My favorite: the goggle face
No comments:
Post a Comment